Wednesday, October 18, 2006

the farm

The farm... my roots... my home.
Where my story began...



When we were planning a family gathering for my parents 45th Anniversary 11 years ago, we were delighted when my Dad's oldest sister Anna wrote to us her fondest memories of her brother John. I want to hightlight what she so eloquently wrote about the farm... the farm that her baby brother would someday own.

Anna wrote " All during my four years at Whitehall High School, I was one of the first passengers to board Abner Thompson's "homemade" school bus in the morning, and of course, among the last to alight in the p.m. As we traveled up, down, in, out, and around the country roads, I'd frequently pass the time gazing, often wistfully at some of the farm houses I considered ever so much more elegant than our own. I remember still, Linda, the one I thought most beautiful and desirable and would think, "how wonderful it must be to live on such land and in such a fine house!" Of course, such thoughts were shared only with my inner-self. Knowing this, Linda, you can appreciate my pardonable pride when, years later, I learned that my baby-brother, John, had recently purchased the farm over which I'd spent countless hours in fantasy!!!"

Don't you just love that story!
Aunt Anna is 83 years old now... and I'm calculating that those four years on that school bus were from 1938-1942.
The farm was built in 1927. My Mom & Dad and 5 kids under the age of 7 moved onto that farm Feb. of 1959. I was 2 years old. The sixth sibling was born in 1969. My brother Ron and his family bought the farm from my Dad in 1988. My parents built a home on the farm in 1981. My Dad retired from milking the cows the day he turned 62, in 1988... but continues to actively work on the farm at 80 years young! His work ethic and strength of character is revered by everyone who knows him. In fact in 1986, our farm was chosen to have Secretary of Agriculture Lyng tour our 350 acre farm! What an honor! We were so proud of Dad and our brother Ron!


Click the pic to see Randy and Tyler on top of the 80 ft. Harvestor!

So my kids have grown up going to the farm in WI every summer. And like MY childhood, they enjoyed playing in the corn cribs, the hay loft, the woods, the creek, the granary and the basements in the farmhouse and my parents home. Yes, the basement being their favorite memory. They love basements! I love basements! I wish I had a... give it up Linda... you don't and never will. BUT... I am seeing a blog post about basements in the near future.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are the most loving and kind person...

mimulus said...

this is an amazing post. I grew up in nebraska..in a town, not on a farm, but it seems like the smallish, family owned , neat-as-a pin farms of my childhood memory..are becoiming just that ...a memory. So glad to hear Ron and his family is still keeping the farm beautiful and thriving!

Jody said...

what a beautiful farm...makes me wish I could go jump around in the hayloft of my Grandpa's farm. It's been years...and you made me miss that! Thanks. =)

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the farm today. I could just feel the love that you all share. It is definitely a blessing for you to be a part of such a rich heritage and a loving family.
Blessings,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I bet I can guess miranda's favorite memory...four-wheel, me driving, cast on the arm...I really am sorry...and loved when we were all on the farm together...love ya

Anonymous said...

it is a great farm! thanks for sharing.... and for visiting my blog. Makes me appreciate living in Wisconsin even more. :)

Boxwood Cottage said...

What a lovely and really american looking farm! You must have had a great childhood there!