Friday, March 30, 2007

upside-down


My latest discovery... going to thrift stores and turning candle holders upside-down... a whole new purpose! Here are a few I couldn't resist!
This yummy pin cushion is displayed on such a find! By the way, that pin cushion was just given to me by my Mother-in-law. She thinks her Mother-in-law (my husband's Mamaw Bean) made that pin cushion around 40 years ago and my Mother-in-law became the proud owner when Mamaw died in 1978. I am sooo in love with this precious family heirloom... reminds me of a cupcake!


Here's another candle holder that I turned over and it became home to thimbles. Don't you just love it! OK, I am also into anything with a pedestal. The simplest of things just look more elegant when displayed on a pedestal. Don't you think! And I spent maybe 50 cents for each of these treasures. Hey, why not get out some of your candle holders and see if they might have a new purpose! Cuz it's all about repurposing.

11 comments:

Nonie said...

Cute idea for candle sticks. Love the pin cushion...

Anonymous said...

I collect pin holders, and I collect timbles. These are great ideas.
I might try to copy the pin holder. Precious.

Becca said...

Those pins with the colored heads. I have seen people making them on Etsy. Where do you get yours? They are so cute. I like the thread in the colander as well. I'm going to go do that right now!

Michelle Legler said...

Too funny.....I've been using candlesticks for the pedestals of my mosaic cakes. Great minds think alike!!!!

Nancy said...

Great idea... you are so creative!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

hi linda, that's a great idea!

regarding your question about my dressform, i got it at joann's. (it may be have been called new york fabrics at the time.)

no, i haven' name it, never thought of that! i should come up with one though. :)

Amy said...

oh your pink glass holder is gorgeous, I think it's called Depression glass because of the time era that it was made in...

MariaJ said...

Your pin cushion is funny and more valuable with this story. I'd really like that too. Great idea for candle holders!

Jodi Ohl said...

Love the pin cushion and great idea on turning candle holders around. I'll have to look around and try to do the same with mine! Thanks for the idea!


lucy

LA said...

I love it!

Reuse, renew, recycle is what it is all about.

Cheers! LA

Anita said...

I will now look at candle holders in a whole new way when I go thrifting. Thank you! And that pincushion is wonderful! It looked like a knitted cupcake in some of your studio pics of it at a distance! Lovely...