Monday, June 30, 2008

my Noritake china


Randy has been spending hours every night since his Dad passed away, scanning old family slides that date back to the 40's. We're talking colored slides! It has been both healing and nostalgic as Randy relives his childhood. Randy's Dad was in the Air Force for 26 years and they were stationed all over the world. They lived in Japan from 1950-1952... before my husband Randy was born in 1953. While in Japan, Randy's Mom bought this beautiful set of Noritake china. I fell in love with it the first time I spent Thanksgiving with Randy's family in 1978. They always used the Noritake china for Thanksgiving.

Several years ago my dear Mother-in-law gave me her beloved china. She knew I would cherish it and eventually pass it on to my daughter Miranda. I especially love the gravy boat. And isn't the Thanksgiving meal all about the gravy! Seriously, you load up your plate and then proceed to smother it all in gravy. And this gravy boat rocks! Oooh, pardon the pun.


And I simply adore the cream 'n sugar bowl set. Love the curvy design.
So today, I got them out of the boxes in the garage and placed them in these cotton quilted storage bags I found at my little thrift store for two dollars! When I went online to see how much these bags would cost... ya, over $50.00!
I am hoping to remember to use my Noritake china more, now that it is stored in the house, in my red hutch.

12 comments:

Miranda said...

Wait... I always thought I was getting those.

Gina said...

Thank you for sharing that touching story. Isn't it amazing how much feeling an item from a loved one can generate... it's a beautiful thing to be given such a gift, it's a gift that lives on. And your china is so lovely.

Felicia said...

What a delightful treasure :)

Liz Harrell said...

Oh wow. That's some gorgeous china! I love hearing people's 'china stories.' They're always so interesting!

Lori said...

Linda, Stopped to say hello! I have been pretty miserable in back and leg pain and can hardly sit at the screen so I'm missing everyones summer! Baby is adorable and such a sweet story about the dishes! Yep Son in Surprise has been mostly working in Phoenix and has let me know how hot it's been! Please take care, miss ya! Lori

Natasha said...

Oh that is great china! So the more meaningful with a great story behind it!

How did your yard work turn out in the heat?

Rhonda said...

What a stunning and beautiful patterm! But they're much too pretty to just use 1-2 times a yeat. I think I would be tempted to use them every Sunday. Life is short, use the 'good dishes!'

Karol said...

What beauty in this china! I also hope you use your noritake more too. I have a giant set of Noritake that has a funny story behind it... I'll post about it soon. (Karol chortling here!) :)

Sandy said...

Love the design of your china! It's really different. :)

Judy said...

Your daughter's comment sounds just like the ones my daughter leaves me. LOL

Your china looks so exotic...oriental...a treasure! Enjoy...and someday Miranda will enjoy them too.

Heidi Ann said...

Your anthurium china is absolutely gorgeous, and very special!

Rhondas said...

I have a set exactly like it! My dad bought it as an engagement present for my mother when he was in Okinawa back during the Korean War.