Monday, July 28, 2008

Arizona garden tour

I thought I'd take you on a little tour of my garden. Even though we live in a very arid climate, I am always amazed at what we are able to grow here. Having grown up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, I was pleasantly surprised at how colorful and beautiful it is living here in the Southwest.
Of course I have to decorate my yard with various artifacts brought back from the farm... an old tractor seat atop an old milk can makes me so happy.

Most of my plants have a story. These hibiscus plants were bought the week of Shawn & Nicole's wedding in 2004 for the rehearsal dinner in our backyard. I later transplanted them from huge pots to the ground, where they really took off.


I love when the sprinklers go off in the early morning. Randy had just mowed the lawn and the smell of fresh cut grass takes me back to when I was a little girl growing up on the farm every. single. time.


Love my bird-of-paradise bush in the front yard. We planted it shortly after we moved to this house in 1994.


Our yellow Lantana bush blooms profusely all year round!


And my "very favorite thing" outside is the old pump that my Dad bought me several years ago. Randy installed a small pump so that at the flip of a switch, the water in the pail recirculates through the old pump back into the pail and makes the sweetest sounds all day long. I love the sound of running water. So calming and peaceful.

7 comments:

Natasha said...

That pump is really neat...do you hire Randy out ever...I just love gardens thanks for sharing your pictures!

NanAZ said...

You have quite a green thumb! I love all your flowers.

Yeah, I'd love to hire Randy for his handyman skills too. I have an old French door, that I'd love to install in the backyard as a decorative piece once we get the rest of the yard squared away and I'm sure Terry wouldn't want to tackle that.

Nicole T said...

I want you to tell everyone the story about how you had to get the pump from WI back home! I love your story telling!

Sandy said...

Your pies, your garden, your sweet granddaughter - I just got my fix and got caught up Linda! Wonderful posts :)
Sandy

Mosaic*Queen said...

I LOVE seeing pictures of your yard :-)
Thank You for sharing!

Hugs!
Michelle

Skerrib said...

Pretty!

Debbie Kay said...

Linda:

Your yard is so inviting. I live in the desert in California and have no luck with flowering plants, you inspire me.....look forward to meeting around the 20th of August in Tempe!

Love,

Debbie Kay