Monday, March 09, 2009

cows... coos


Cows.. coos... let me explain.
Miranda recently spent a weekend in Scotland and had the pleasure of meeting Hamish. Hamish is a famous heilan' coo... a highland cow. And well, I was instantly smitten with the disheveled, shaggy coo.


I have always had a soft spot for cows. Having grown up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, I have seen my fair share of them. But Hamish beats all. She's a looker all right.


Several years ago, my brother Ron had a rather unconventional cow living amongst the traditional Holsteins. I believe she was a Guernsey cow. Anyway, this particular shot was taken from the top of the 90 foot Harvestore that Randy climbs every year before we head home to Phoenix. I don't know about you, but I find this photo rather troubling. I mean, who knew that Holsteins could be so... well... prejudice... intolerant... discriminatory. I mean, can't we all just get along?!


But thanks to my nephew Aaron, he captured an amicable shot of them coexisting. I knew it was just a matter of time. You go girls!

8 comments:

Kristen said...

leave it to Aaron, the awesome taker of peopleless pictures...that was a crazy sentence!

Keetha Broyles said...

Yay for Wisconsin - - - America's Dairyland - - - and California, DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!

Nancy said...

Keetha is right. "Happy" (mindless?) cows may be from California, but cows from Wisconsin have a true sense of humor. (needed to survive the winters and people taking pictures of them -- hehe)

I happen to love the highland cows too. We had an acquaintance who had 2 and named them "Shishka"&"Bob"

Harvestores -- years ago, my brother worked constructing them.

Skerrib said...

I like the brown spots.

NanAZ said...

Love the look of Hamish. He reminds me of the Beatles. I hope there's a lady Hamish around somewhere so they can make baby Hamishes.

I love the abstract pattern in that last photo!

Natasha said...

It is so lovely to see brown and black co-exist happily!

Lizzie said...

What a cow! And I love the name "Hamish".

Sandy said...

ha, love this!

the last pix is my fave! :)