Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Miranda!


My beautiful daughter Miranda is 25 years old today! And I can still recall every single moment leading up to her arrival as though it was yesterday.

We celebrated Thanksgiving the day before she was born. We had a wonderful meal at Randy's parents, went home and I woke up around midnight in labor. I tried to go back to sleep, and succeeded somewhat but still aware of my occasional contractions. I would wake up and lay there thinking about our 2 1/2 year old son Shawn and that he was about to meet his little brother or sister. And I was so excited for him that I could hardly stand it. He was going to be the best brother.

I had gone through 24+ hours of labor with Shawn but when they finally broke my water, he was born in 2 hours. So we were prepared to go in and suggest they do the same with this baby so as to avoid hours and hours of unnecessary labor. Sure enough we go in around 4 PM, they break my water and Miranda is born 2 hours later.

And the best part- she was a healthy baby girl! A girl! Randy & I had a daughter! Shawn had a sister! We were ecstatic!
As long as I live I will never forget hearing Randy yell out "It's a girl!". You see, I got to tell him I'm pregnant and he got to tell me It's a girl!. Truly one of the happiest moments of my life. I don't think I stopped smiling for months. And what a magical time of year to bring home a newborn baby. I would nurse her each night to the glow of the Christmas tree lights.

When she was two weeks old we had to take her back to St. Joe's for her two week check up and while Randy, Shawn, Miranda & I sat in the waiting room, in walks Santa. He kneels down and reaches in his bag of toys and hands them each a Christmas bear. I will never forget the look on Shawn's face. I literally started crying. (I'm crying again as I write this) I have a list of my top 5 Christmas memories and this is at the very top. We set those bears out every Christmas on the little rocking chair that Randy sat in as a little boy... and remember the magic of that moment.

On the way home from church yesterday, I was on the phone with Miranda and telling her once again that I was sad that I didn't have any gifts for her to open on her birthday. And she proceeded to tell me that her love language is not gifts... it's affirmation, quality time and physical touch. You guys, I did not know that. My daughter will be 25 and her own Mom did not know that.

But I know now.

Miranda, you are one of the most gifted women I know. You are fearless & courageous. You dream big, and actually take those steps of faith to fulfill those dreams.
You are trustworthy, the most loyal, loving & generous friend I know. I have always said that I would want you as my best friend.
You are smart, both intellectually and street smart. You love to learn. You're a sponge. And it's infectious.
Miranda, when you were leading worship at the Women's Retreat last month, I was so moved by your humble spirit, your love for Jesus and your tender heart for God.
You are wise and mature beyond your years. You have the gift of faith like your Dad.
You're kind and thoughtful and you always think the best of others. You have never said an unkind thing about anyone ever.
You reflect Christ to the world. You are authentic. People are drawn to you. You are safe.
You inspire me to be a better person. I have learned more from you than you'll ever know. That's why I always say that I hope I grow up to be like you Miranda.
You have given me 25 precious years of pure joy & delight.
I love you forever & always,
Your Mom

6 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter. And how wonderful that the two of you have such a special relationship!

Angie in AZ said...

Geez, now you have ME crying!

Amy T Schubert said...

love you, Miranda!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Linda,
This is so beautiful! Your daughter is so lovely just like her Mom. This is such a neat story Linda, so heart warming. Happy B-Day to your daughter and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hung that cute little apple you got me on my outside Christmas tree today, it looks so cute! Hugs, Cindy

NanAZ said...

Linda, I have never heard that Santa story! Wow! How amazing for Shawn! You're right, what an awesome time of year to have a new little baby around. Miranda is so precious. You know how I feel about her. We'd welcome her into our family anytime! She's amazing.

Judi said...

What a beautiful gift to your daughter! Thank you for sharing it with us all and for the beautiful act of standing up and gently shouting to the world of the beauties of your girl. (And, yes, I'm wiping tears from my eyes, too.)