Sunday, February 08, 2015

The Joys of Dementia

One of the characteristics of frontotemporal dementia is uncharacteristic behavior. One in particular impacts appearance and personal hygiene. It never, ever occurs to my husband Randy that he should brush his teeth, shave, take a shower, cut his nails or groom himself. Things that he did without thinking. SO, he has not shaven or gotten a haircut in several months. I have not let it bother me too much, because he truly wants to do those things. He. just. can't. He will let me start a haircut and then immediately tell me he needs to go read. And no amount of bribing works. A QT Coke? A DQ blizzard? Nothing. So whenever I am given even a minute, I go really fast and make sure I'm cutting symmetrical, so when he is done, it's not too lopsided.

Well, the other day I was determined to give him a complete haircut and while he means to let me, I knew I had to come prepared with major distractions. Meaning LOTS of questions and LOTS of talking. So we began and I'm seriously cutting like a madwoman and talking like a lunatic... and proceeded to cut my knuckle. (just so you know I was a professional beautician before I moved to Phoenix) Needless to say, it started bleeding. But that was not going to deter me. I was on a mission! Yes, there was blood dripping onto his head, neck and forehead, but I kept yapping and he kept answering my questions. It was not my finest hour haircut, but by golly I did it! And when he had had enough, he proceeded to tell me he had to go read... and then I proceeded to tell him he had to go take a shower because their was blood all over him. So I showed him my bloody knuckle and he looked in the mirror and we laughed and laughed. Oh the joys of dementia! And yes, there are so many of those moments that I want to remember, that make me smile, that bring me joy.

Now on to the beard debacle. Ha! I will keep you posted.

Randy & Koda at Kiwanas Park in Tempe this morning

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Was this taken today?

Anita Diaz said...

Linda I know you treasure those moments:-) Praying for God's strength and peace in your lives!!

Judi said...

You are just the best, Linda! I love you. I love Randy. I love that you are sharing these moments of your journey with us. You are brave in so many ways. Thank you.

joanne said...

somewhere in there Randy knows how blessed he is to have you by his side. And you will cherish these crazy moments and carry them in your heart always. Blessings to you both, with love and prayers.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Hi Linda....so good to hear from you. You are a trouper girlfriend. I am so proud of you and to call you friend. Enjoy all those good moments!!

Ian Teh said...

That was refreshing. Thank you for sharing.

SIMON PATCHIN said...

I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help or text with this number +1 (740)-573-9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com