Sunday, October 10, 2010

repurposed sweater


I am so passionate about repurposing, recycling & restoring. 
I look at everything and think mmm, what can I do to give it another life?
Especially clothes.
With sweater vests all the rage this fall, I thought I'd take this cardigan that I rarely wore,
(sleeves were too snug) and make it into a vest.
I loved the color (gray is big this fall), the long length and the light-weight crocheted design.
So not ready to toss it in the yard sale box yet.
I also knew that if I cut a tad beyond the sleeve seam that it would most likely curl
and that's just the look I wanted. 
But if I tire of that look, I can always finish the seam for a more finished look.


Just as I was about to toss the sleeves, I remembered this amazing post at 
Check out Stephanie's detailed tutorial and make some yourself.



Ok, so I got this far and realized that I probably should have put these candles in vases
or else these sleeves will go up in smoke, if you know what I mean. Oops!
So off to the thrift store I go (and found the vase in the top pic)
and while I'm at it, might as well pick up some holiday sweaters with colorful, festive sleeves 
and make some more to scatter about the house.
And for whatever reason, I've been calling mine Candle Cozies.
I guess they remind me of those cute Tea Cozies.

I'm linking my creative blooper to BLOGGING BLOOPERS PARTY- 2010

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea to cut the sleeves off! I love clothing refashioning!

Tamara Jansen said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Love the two-in-one repurposing idea! I really want to head down to the thrift store to pick up some of those bulky sweaters that people bring out from back east and then never wear. There's got to be a boat load of them just waiting for our candles and vases, right?

dee dee said...

Oh what a great way to recycle an old sweater! Great job!
Dee dee

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Love them!! Great job!

Amanda - Small Home Big Start said...

What a wonderfully creative way to reuse an old sweater!

I love your blog! If you get a minute, come over and take a look at mine!

http://smallhomebigstart.blogspot.com/

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What an ingenious idea! Candle cozies. I could see that a disaster was just a candle flame away!
Very cute post!
Happy New Year.
Yvonne

Jacqueline said...

Very very cute, but a big disaster wiating to happen if you hadn't caught it. I want to try these too, with a glass outside of course! Thanks for sharing!

Marlis said...

cute use of old sweater parts..

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

These are so adorable. It's a good thing you were thinking of the flame, could have been awful. Very cute idea. I love repurposing too, no such thing as junk;-)
Thanks for sharing. I found you at the Bloopers Party.
Happy New Year