Friday, August 26, 2011

handmade quilts tops


As you can imagine, I really miss my favorite little thrift store.
I mean, where else can you find deals like these...
handmade quilt tops for under five dollars each!


Ok, maybe I need to re-emphasis my point here ~ hand-made quilt tops.
As in, made-by-hand ~ needle 'n thread only quilt tops.
Another words ~ no electricity was involved in the making of these quilt tops!


For the life of me, I can't imagine taking on such a task.
Not to mention the hours of tedious measuring and cutting and placement
 of each and every fabric square!


I am simply in awe of the artistry that goes into such meticulous craftsmanship.


If I were the creator of this quilt, 
I would want to know that my work was in the hands of someone that appreciated
the hours of love and devotion I invested in bringing about its completion. 


Well, I do. And I often run my fingers over the perfectly placed stitches
and imagine the conversations had ~ the stories told ~ the dreams envisioned.


Even though I am not privy to its past ~
I will accept the responsibility for its future ~
and make it the family heirloom that it was always intended to be.

I'm linking up to these amazing Linky Parties ~
FRUGAL FRIDAY

6 comments:

brandi76 said...

Linda, I love quilts too! I have a quilt made by my great grandmother in the 1920's! It's a my family treasure.

Brandi

Mel's Designs from the Cabin said...

The women who made those quilt tops had lots of time on their hands and didn't work outside the home....I bet that was their way of relaxing after a hard day of baking and raising kids...I have quilt tops my grandmothers made too and I enjoy each and everyone of them in Mel's Designs from the Cabin blogspot....Mel

Nancy said...

I've always wanted to find a quilt top and make it into a shower curtain. Is that wrong?

becca said...

Linda, those quilt tops are amazing. That really was a great little thrift store! :)--Becca

Scharfter said...

I love the periwinkle quilt top. It looks enormous. I almost makes me sick to know how little you paid for them. I hope you finish them to help keep them in tact for you grandchildren to cherish.

Sue S said...

Does anyone know the name of the diamond type quilt pattern? I love it.