Friday, March 30, 2012

Easter project


30 years ago I was working at a Christian Preschool and after 5 years as the preschool cook and music teacher, I would work my last day the day before our son Shawn was born May 30th, 1982. I don't know why but just typing those words made me cry. I can't believe I've been a Mom for 30 years. Wow, this gratitude thing is working. I'm a mess. But a thankful mess.
Anyway, for the past couple years I've been working at the preschool at our church and I'm telling you, it's been a God-thing. Kids say the darndest things and teach me the darndest things. I love my job and I love my boss Kathy, who happens to be the preschool teacher and my dear friend.


A few weeks ago I emailed Kathy this image I found on Pinterest ~ proposing that I create my own version and we use it as a hands-on visual leading up to Good Friday and Easter. She was thrilled and gave me the go-ahead.


I knew I had everything I needed in my backyard, except for the shade grass seed, so I improvised and transplanted sprigs of grass rather than planting seeds. I didn't want this to cost me a penny and it didn't.


I found the perfect rock to cover the opening of the tomb, and because I was transporting this to and from the preschool, I chose plastic over a clay pot drainer. So glad I did because this already weighed a ton.


Emolyn loves keeping the plants moist by spritzing them often.


But she was a little distraught when she discovered that the posable Jesus that I had found in a toy box at the preschool didn't quite fit in the tomb. I may have to find a bigger clay pot.
But what a powerful visual in teaching kids about Christ's death and resurrection. And for us big kids too.
I love Easter. And my heart is full of thanks.

John 3:16 ~ For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I'm sharing this Easter project at ~

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Just got back from Michael's after buying materials to make these with my kids and grandkids.

Since the sun rarely shines in the PNW this time of year, I knew I couldn't get grass seed to grow. Instead, I'm using moss from the yard.

I'm also making one in my front garden with Scripture because I have a lot of people that walk by my house.

Nancy Hann said...

I love this idea, Linda! What a great reminder of what we're rejoicing about on Easter Sunday!