Tuesday, July 24, 2012

a lost buried treasure


My husband can build a bonfire like no other. And he did not disappoint while camping this past weekend. And quite frankly, Emolyn loves a big bonfire too and could have sat there for hours staring into those flames had it not been for the strong winds that came out of nowhere. Thankfully Randy grabbed the camp shovel he brought along and quickly began digging shovels full of sand and dirt to douse the fire. We were relieved when the fire was finally extinguished.


But amidst all the digging and shoveling and strong winds a-blowing, Randy noticed a gold chain dangling from the shovel and hollered for me to pull it off. It was dusk and I couldn't see all too well without my glasses, so I hastily unwound the chain and then saw that something was attached to the chain ~ this beautiful Amethyst Cross with a tiny diamond. Once I got it cleaned up I was pretty blown away by its color and clarity... but also sad for whomever lost it. How long had it been buried in that campsite? 
Emolyn was quick to tell me she loved it and that her favorite color is purple ~ oh, and get this, her birthstone is Amethyst! So I'm thinking, when the time is right, maybe when she turns 13... I will give it to her and remind her of that camping trip when she was 4 years old ~ when her Pop Pop uncovered a lost buried treasure. And she will totally remember... and cherish it all the more. Pretty sweet:)

3 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

That is beautiful. Amethyst is my birthstone also...and I think it is one of the prettiest.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Very sweet Linda, she will love it and it will jog her memory too!
Sounds like you had a great time with the little darling!
Blazing hot today just like Phoenix, I might as well be there!
Hugs friend,
Cindy

De Renata said...

Greaat read thankyou