Wednesday, October 09, 2013

joy in the journey

Ok, so where have I been for the past 6 weeks? Well, for the two of you that were curious enough to hang in there and are reading this, I'm ok. Lots of changes that continue to overwhelm me. For one, I'm working. And when I'm not working I'm too tired and exhausted to do much of anything else. My job is very physical. I work at a Fry's Store (Kroger) in the kitchen department. I love the variety of work, making the time go by fast. I love the atmosphere. I don't love unloading a semi truck-load of heavy boxes and crates every night. Oh and yes, I work nights. And because I 'm a morning person and wake up before 5, and I don't get to bed now till after midnight, I'm going on very little sleep these days. Thus the lack of blog posts. Sleep deprivation has stolen much of my ability to concentrate and create interesting blog posts. And let's be honest, I don't have much of a life to blog about since starting work.

Anyway, enough of the negativity.
The weather here in Phoenix is simply gorgeous. We've been well below 100 for weeks. That usually doesn't happen till after Halloween. My cool morning walks with Koda are truly the highlight of my day. I cry out to God to give me strength to do the things that need to be done and to give me peace, joy and contentment. Oh and love. His love.

Yesterday I was talking to God about joy. If my circumstances never change, can I truly find joy again?  Well, when I got on Facebook a couple hours later, my friend posted this. Oh and btw, she is battling cancer. And she is a mother to four young children. And she has joy!

I was thinking about joy this morning. It isn't necessarily present in those you think it should be. I have been surprised to see a real lack of it in the rich and the famous and I have observed a serious supply in the weak, even the suffering and those who live simply. It is a confusing emotion because in some people it isn't even present. Joy is a gift. One you must choose to unwrap, no one can do it for you. The amount you have is the amount you are willing to receive. It comes directly from God. It is the cure for anxiety, weakness and fear. It is what fills up the hole so those things can't enter. It heals us from pain, loss, need, sorrow, illness and even kills cancer. It comes at a price that some people think too expensive. A choice to let God make your choices. It comes with a hunger for God's Word and a relentless pursuit to fulfill His passions. 
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

Wow, did I need to read that or what! So this morning on my walk with Koda, I chose to unwrap joy... to put on joy. To let joy heal my sadness... my fears. I will choose joy in the journey. And be thankful. No matter what God allows in my path.

Ok, so I can't post a blog post without photos. These are some recent photos of my husband Randy with our twin grandson's Nathan & Jonah. They are 17 months now and cute as bugs. So thankful for these little guys. They sure bring a lot of joy to our lives.



14 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have tried to call, but you are probably sleeping. I think about you every day. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Linda, I'm so glad to see a post. Strive to get off the night shift and joy will flow easier. Blessings, Fran

Elizabeth said...

I hope things are better soon! Those grandsons are sooo cute!

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about you and noticed your absence! Just want to say hello!

Skerrib said...

Thanks for the update Linda! Night shift--yikes. I'd be a mess on night shift. You are a brave and hardworking lady. Love to you guys.

Unknown said...

HUGS & KISSES <3

Mindy said...

OOH, working? That would be SO hard. Praying for your strength and stamina.

I've had the same thoughts about JOY lately. I don't know when I've felt real joy, that confidence that everything will turn out blessed. Thank you for sharing that quote from a young woman who quietly rebuked me with her glorious faith.

Your grandkids are adorable. Good thing I have my own or I'd be TOTALLY jealous. :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Cute little grandsons Linda!
Oh I am going to call you soon.
It's been a busy week since getting back home and now the weather has turned yucky.
Hugs friend,
Cindy
You are an inspiration my friend!

Vivian said...

Your circumstances will change. For the better! Hang in there until they do. Stay strong. Things will get better. Truly. I was excited to see you had posted again! Miss your pics and posts.

Fiona said...

So good to hear about the lessons you are learning lately, some of the things I've been thinking about too. Your friend is very wise about joy, thanks for sharing that. Hope you settle into your new routine soon and get some good sleep!

Decor To Adore said...

I remember I had read this before. But the Lord led me back here this morning. I am tears as I just found out I will miss an "A" by 2 points in one of my classes. Up until this point I have been a straight A student. I know it is such a small things but it links to pain in my childhood. Perhaps I should look upon this as respite and to go easier on myself in the future. It really is such a small thing. So, I am searching for joy. Perhaps it will be in the reindeer shaped pancakes I am about to make for my kids. We can do this Linda! :)

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

Not reading many blogs lately, just found yours bookmarked on my iPad. Sorry to see that work has interfered with your blogging. I know it is hard going back to work. I hope things are getting easier and that the job is working for you. I hopemyour Christmas was lovely with your sweet Family and I hoep the New Year brings good things for you and yours!

Laurie S.

Anna said...

Hi Mrs. Thompson. My Mom just found your blog this morning. You might remember our family from your Christmas concerts. (We are all very tall and most people remember us because of that:)) Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and tell you that we still listen to your family's music all the time at our barn when we work our horses. It is really a blessing in our life! Enjoy those amazingly adorable grand kids :)
Anna

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.