Monday, July 04, 2011

Old Dutch popcorn


If you grew up in the Upper Midwest, then Old Dutch was a part of your summer memories.
We always had a box of potato chips on top of our frig ready for picnics and cookouts.
What's a burger & brat without Old Dutch potato chips? 

Well, 20+ years ago, I started making CARMEL POPCORN using Old Dutch Puffcorn.
Puffcorn has no kernels or hulls... umm, need I say more.
CARMEL PUFFCORN is truly the best stuff on the planet. Pure gold.
We never leave Wisconsin without bags of puffcorn on board.
So you can bet that my Carmel Puffcorn was a huge hit at my daughter's Grad Party
upon returning home from our trip to Wisconsin. YUM!
Here's the recipe ~



Microwave Carmel Puffcorn


Put the following in a 2 qt. glass batter bowl-


1 stick butter (not margarine)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. white syrup (Karo syrup)
1 tsp. salt


Microwave mixture till it begins to boil, stir and microwave another 2 minutes. 
Take out of microwave and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda and stir. Immediately add the mixture to a brown paper bag that contains a bag of puffcorn. (or 3-4 qts. popped corn) Close the bag by rolling top and SHAKE THE BAG HARD. Microwave 1 minute, take out bag and SHAKE HARD. Put back in microwave for 1 minute and SHAKE HARD. Put back in microwave for a final minute and take out and SHAKE HARD.
EMPTY THE BAG OF HOT CARMEL PUFFCORN IN A LARGE BOWL. ENJOY!
Store in airtight container.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Too funny! That is a recipe I haven't been able to make since I moved to Washington because I can't find the Puffcorn. Thanks for the idea...I'm headed to Minnesota on Thursday, will definately be bringing back Old Dutch Puffcorn. I just blogged about using little take-out boxes for snacks...next time I use them they will be filled with Caramel Popcorn!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Cute post Linda!
And your right, Old Dutch is everywhere around here and I never thought about it before.
I guess I thought it was everywhere else too,.
Like your recipe....
Hugs,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Puffcorn is kinda like Cheetos without the cheese right? It looks like a similar consistency.