Thursday, December 06, 2012

DIY beverage/ popcorn stand


I have vivid memories of my Mom washing clothes using these galvanized wash tubs along with her wringer washer. Talk about backbreaking work. No wonder she kept threatening to throw them in the dump if we didn't take them. Not the most pleasant of memories I guess. Well I wanted them, and finally hauled them out of the basement on June, 2011, when we last visited the farm in Wisconsin, and brought them back to Phoenix ~ never dreaming they would be used to ice beverages at my daughter's wedding a year and a half later!


Over the years I have found two of these units in IKEA 'as is'. I transformed one of them into this. And the other has been collecting dust in my shed for years. That is, until I showed Miranda the 200 vintage paper popcorn bags I found for a dollar at a thrift store, which inspired her to serve popcorn to her guests while the backyard was being transformed from ceremony to reception. What a fun idea!


Miranda wanted me to cover the top in oilcloth and suggested the Cath Kidston oilcloth that I purchased while visiting her in England in 2009. I was thrilled. You can even see her holding this very oilcloth piece while we were shopping in the Cath Kidston store in Bath, England ~ and you can read all about that memorable visit HERE!



Miranda also wanted paper straws at the beverage table. She ordered the gray straws online and I found the red ones on clearance at the Kirkland Store for less than $3.00 a box ~ 144 ct. per box ~ right after 4th of July. I know! LOVE how Kelsie photographed them!



She also wanted the baskets lined. We chose to use only three of the baskets for easy access, and then lined them with a blue-check woven fabric I've had in my stash for years.



Every December I get a $20.00 birthday coupon from The Willows, to spend at their fabulous store in Phoenix. Last year I chose those galvanized hanging chalkboards. Again, I had no idea I would use them at my daughter's wedding a year later. I can't wait to spend my $20.00 this month! Thanks Willows! See you soon.
Special thanks to Pinkerton photography for all these lovely photos of my DIY wedding reception projects! You're awesome Kelsie!

Linking up with other awesome inspirational blogs ~

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You're so creative, as always. You and Cathy Jones should go on Flea Market Flip. It would be awesome to see what you come up with.

http://www.hgtv.com/flea-market-flip/show/index.html

Anonymous said...

I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts
Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts?