Sunday, February 25, 2007

pin cushions


My sister Ginny taught Kathy and I how to make these "thread catchers" a year ago when we were together for my Dad's 80th birthday celebration! Don't you just love them!! (I made the blue one) Let me tell you about these guys! The pin cushion is filled with fine sand to keep needles sharpened and give weight to hold most anything you put in the bag. It can catch loose thread & fabric... scrapbookers love it for photo/paper scraps... nursing moms use it for pacifers, a diaper & wipes... also for holding yarn as you knit & crochet... have one hanging off an end table or recliner for a water bottle, tv remotes, notepads & tissue... so handy when mending or near your sewing machine for scissor, needle & thread, seam ripper and measuring tape. You get the picture! One is not enough!
OK, so talk to me now... have any of you seen these before? Are they out there? Would they catch on? (pardon the pun) Cuz I am planning to make more and eventually make them available in my future Etsy shop.


The picture above is me and my sister Ginny. And the picture below are my sisters Kathy and Ginny. The three sewing sisters! And by the way, my sisters are incredibly talented, so creative at making anything! I'm serious! One of these days I am going to devote an entire post to Ginny and all the things she has made for me & for my kids over the years!!


The tote bags and coin purses were made by my cousin Shelly. My sisters and I are proud owners of a Shelly original!! She does such fabulous work!! Be sure to click the pics to enlarge and you'll see what I mean!

14 comments:

Angie in AZ said...

Hey, I want one of these! I want it in cool funky colors like hand-dyed fabric or something! Like fall colors maybe? What are you charging for them? Could I get fabric and custom order it? These would be great to take to art classes!

And Oh MY GOSH!! Was church amazing beyond words this morning????!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the pin cushion catchers!! I saw these years ago, but they weren't as nice looking as yours. I would buy one, in fact, I would buy the whole set, pin cushion, coin purse, and tote, it all looks so neat together. Sell it as a sewing set, or crafting set. Like you said, great for knitters, scrapbookers, sewers, etc.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask, is that your kitchen? I love the antique table. If it is, show more pics!!(please)

Becca said...

Yay! Another etsy-er. They look great.

Sigrun said...

They all looks very good.

Sigrun

Unknown said...

A thread catcher...that is exactly what I need!!! I've never seen one, but it would sure be handy!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen them and I think it's a great idea. You should do it!!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh yes they are gorgeous, both the bags and the thread catchers!

Jodi Ohl said...

I've never seen them before, but I think they are a great item and would definitely sell. What a clever idea!

Diana LaMarre said...

Linda,
Those are great! I've seen other models, but really none quite so nicely sized and professionally made. I think they would sell.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I am always pushing my threads off to the floor, and then vacuuming.

Jill 00

NanAZ said...

Go for it Linda! Of course you'll need to keep your sewing machine alive to do it. :-)

Sarah and Jack said...

Man, I need to make myself one of those. I constantly have thread everywhere. Everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Love these thread catchers. I never thought about using mine as a place for scissors and such. Good idea!

I made one a few years ago and want to make one for my daughter buthave lost the directions. How much are you selling the completed catchers for and would you be willing to sell the directions?