Monday, March 03, 2008

just a blip


Have you ever had one of those days... when everything is going so well and then just like that, not going so well.
Well, yesterday was one of those days.
Our church held our church services outside on the property that we are planning to build on. We are committing to a building program, united in our desire to see the message of grace and our love of Christ affecting those around us, in our community and our world.
Randy is seen in the above photo leading worship. What a wonderful, beautiful, inspirational morning! We were so grateful, so happy... and then... we were heading home at 1 PM when our van broke down as we were getting on the freeway. Yes, again! Poor Randy was so exhausted from the morning, having been up since 4 AM and needing to eat and take a much needed nap... but we ended up waiting over an hour for a tow truck.
I wish I could tell you that I handled it well... but I didn't. I was sad (for poor pitiful me) and mad (at the stupid van)... but terribly sad for my husband who was desperate to figure out what was wrong with the darn thing... oh and by the way, he was handling it very well!
Yes, and this being the fourth time we have had this van towed in the past few months.
What I finally admitted was that in the scheme of life, this was nothing... just an annoying blip. So I looked up the word "blip"- "an unexpected, minor, and typically temporary deviation from a general trend". Gee, could my 'trend' just be an easy life, free of trials and tribulations? Umm, don't think so. I am reminded that Christ never promised us a perfect life, but He did promise us that HE would be with us and HE would give us everything we need, to get us through anything. And HE has done that... faithfully... every single time.

7 comments:

Jodi Ohl said...

I love your attitude, Linda. Always so positive. And your right, in the grand scheme of things, the van is just a blip (a frustrating one though)!!

Kristen said...

I know what you mean...I pray everyday that our one and only car last us but it can be frustrating because as soon as we paid it off the problems started happening on it but we are blessed to have the money to fix it and not have to make a payment too! I will be praying for you and your van! love ya guys

NanAZ said...

Sad to hear that the van was once again a frustration. I am the least patient with vehicle breakdowns. As soon as mine starts being undependable, I want to trade it in for one that doesn't interrupt my schedule and life.

I'm praying that you'll have a restful week. I hope yesterday was relaxing for both of you.

Jan said...

Nothing is more frustrating and worrisome than having a car break down. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. :( Just be happy it happened this time of year and not this summer! The heat would have just added to the stress. I love this post, though. It's so nice to be reminded that in the grand scheme of things, alot of the things we think are devastating at the moment are, as you said, just a blip. Take care.

Jan

Debbie Kay said...

Linda:

I love your outlook. God is good in all ways, all the time!

Love you,

Debbie Kay

Judy said...

Thanks for reminding us how to look at the little 'blips' on our screens...they are all part of the grand scheme, which is so wonderful!


PS How is Grammy-hood suiting you? Isn't it just the best?

Jennifer said...

It's been a couple of weeks since I last visited your site and I am just so surprised that you have a little grandaughter! Congratulaions! She's so beautiful. It sounded scary for a moment but I'm so glad to hear that she is healthy.

You really do have a great attitude. Many times something that is so frustrating is really just a "blip". I should try more often to feel that way from the beginning.