Monday, March 30, 2009

Marriage Retreat

One of the highlights of our year is teaching at the A TIME FOR US Marriage Retreats. So Friday morning we headed up to Kohl's Ranch near Payson, Arizona for the Level 1 retreat. We stopped in Payson for a quick burger and I noticed an older lady (and her twin sister and husband) sitting at a picnic table outside Burger King with a Wisconsin t-shirt on. So naturally I had to ask where they were from. She said they were from Black River Falls. I told her I grew up near there and that my Mom was the former Leona Steinke. She immediately got all excited and said "oh my gosh, your Mom was the Valedictorian of the class of '49 and your aunt was the Valedictorian of my class of '50 and I know them both!" What a small world! We had more fun talking about all the people we knew in common. Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I ask someone where they are from... but invariably we know someone mutually! Happens all the time!


So we arrived at Kohl's Ranch, we set up, settled in, went to dinner and then waited for the 12 couples to arrive. WE, being the teaching team. Randy & I just love teaching with Tom & Marcia and Nick & Kim. And we love connecting with the 12 couples and watching them respond to the truths.




These gals are so dear to me. I love that they model for me a heart of serving others. Thanks Marcia and Kim!


OK, so the teaching is great and all, but come on, let's cut to the chase ... the food is awesome! Nick & Kim serve us the best meals... made from scratch soups and salads and the best strata dishes along with delicious desserts! But my favorite... Kim's Cranberry Orange Scones!! (click for recipe) Oh my gosh, fresh baked, served hot from the oven! THE BEST SCONES EVER!


I love watching Randy teach. He is so gifted at communicating the various topics... meeting needs, forgiveness, strengths and weaknesses, the affects of unresolved issues and acceptance. It never fails, I always come away having heard something that hits home. Randy & I are committed to doing all we can to strengthen our marriage. And I can honestly say, the past five years have been the best years so far! And it's because of what we keep learning at these retreats.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I would for Randy to teach us...You guys are such a wonderful example!

Crazy story about WI!

Keetha Broyles said...

Those scones look fabulous!!!

I too love the Wisconsin story - - - but perhaps I'm a bit biased!!!

NanAZ said...

I'm usually not a scone fan, but these look like they'd be worth trying...and I love anything with Orange in them.

What a blessing you both are to the marriage ministry and what an awesome team all 3 couples are! Thanks for what you do to serve all these couples at ODF (including us).