Tuesday, January 15, 2013

vintage button containers


Most of you know my love of collecting vintage buttons, but I'd like to think I'm just as passionate in my quest in repurposing unusual containers for my beloved buttons. This unique container being one of my very favorites. Don't you just love hammered aluminum! 


Finding this treasured, one-of-a-kind piece for a couple dollars was quite a thrill. 
While researching the history of hammered aluminum, I found this statement ~

Most hammered aluminum pieces made their way into homes from the 1930's through the 1950's as wedding gifts.


Well, you can imagine how thrilled I was when my daughter Miranda opened up a wedding shower gift and there was a gorgeous hammered heavy metal tray from my dear friend Billie. Truly a work-of-art! Love that hammered anything is making such a comeback!


Omg, does it get any better than fat-quarters, bakers twine and sewing notions in hammered aluminum? I didn't think so.


My favorite buttons to collect are vintage coat buttons. You know, those big, beautiful, oversized, one-of-a-kind coat buttons. I store mine in a vintage jar I found at a yard sale in Appleton, WI while visiting my brother several years ago.


I found each of these vintage jars and the iron caddy over a period of many years at various places. So delighted when I discovered they all fit together beautifully.


Who can pass up those tiny pottery pieces that hold the teeniest of tiny buttons.


I've had more fun filling this antique cast iron cornbread pan with both tea lights and sewing notions.


Drawers of similar, coordinating buttons make for easy access.



I knew the moment I found this aqua blue ice cube tray that it would make for a colorful, fun photo op.


And speaking of aqua blue, my aqua blue PYREX is holding my collection of "buttons" I've gotten while visiting Disneyland ~ first visit, a birthday, an anniversary ~ LOVE!


But the cutest button of all ~ my granddaughter Emolyn Kate ~ who loves playing with my containers of buttons. Yup... cute as a button!!!

1 comment:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh what a great post Linda!
Love your button collection, it's truly a treasure.
And the trays and jars, so many fun vintage ways to store them.
It's only 8 degrees here this morning. Thought that might make you feel warmer.
Hugs friend,
Cindy