Sunday, April 18, 2010

kitchen remodel reflections


Our family of five moved into our home 16 years ago next month. Our youngest was 5. Our oldest turned 12 the day we moved in. As I've said before, we tiled, carpeted and painted but that was about the extent in updating our 1979 Regal Home. Over the years I did express my desire to replace the counter top and sink someday. And then 6 months ago we walked in to our home after 3 days in Disneyland and our living room, dining room and kitchen were flooded. We would be getting much more than counter tops and a sink. Thus began our journey. But not without it's fair share of aches and pains along the way. But hey, no pain, no gain, right?

So for posterity's sake, I'm recording the following reflections while they're still fresh in my mind ~

~ love that we installed a dimmer switch on the under cabinet lighting.
~ the lighted glass-front cabinets are on the same dimmer, with glass shelves coming soon.
~ we kept our white appliances but installed a matching white microwave.
~ we kept our old flooring but added contrasting tile in the actual kitchen.
~ Randy did all the electrical and plumbing.
~ we left the skylight uncovered and does it ever light up my kitchen!
~ the perfect cabinet & drawer pulls have yet to be found.
~ we will get around to adding a back-splash someday.
~ love the cherry cabinets by Omega Cabinetry- thanks Tim! (free upgrade in February)
~ simply adore my Viatera quartz counters.
~ and my under-counter double sink rocks!
~ so glad I chose all drawers under the counter tops. We're talkin full-extension drawers!
~ the raised ceiling was probably our best decision.
~ your faucet really is the jewelry in your kitchen. My Ladylux could not agree more :)
~ love my 10' island that gives me more than enough room for four stools.
~ check back as I'm sure I'll be adding more as they come to mind.

A heartfelt thanks to my handy handsome husband for ~
~ demolition
~ plumbing
~ electrical
~ installing microwave (along with Tim)
~ installing garbage disposal & dish washer
~ painting all the walls & ceiling
~ demoing all the old tile
~ reinstalling my Ladylux GROHE
~ sharing in the ups & downs throughout the process
~ loving me so well

And now... let the decorating begin!

Just so you know, I am all about the journey. I'm not one of those that has a plan with a 'git 'er done' mentality. Quite frankly, I am not about the end results. I like the process. So I am always in process. In my life. And in the life of my home.
So, the personality and character of my kitchen will evolve. I am already pretty psyched about the way it's unfolding. Stay tuned.

And last but certainly not least, thank you dear friends and fellow-bloggers for your kind words. I am so humbled that you would take the time to comment and share in my joy. Means more than you'll ever know!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Linda, you and your dear talented husband have survived... even though you might not have thought you would at times. Your kitchen is fabulous. You did a wonderful job! Believe it or not I have not started decorating yet. I've felt bad about that until now.. I think I am about the "journey" too as you have written. Wow! Talk about a load of guilt lifted. Thank you!!
Glass shelves. Hmmm.. gives me an idea. I may have to check into that for my glass front cabinets. By the way, I have featured my remodeled kitchen on my blog today. (Don't look at the little napkins hanging at an angle from the shelves. It drives me crazy but haven't had the time to fix them!) I think glass would look so much better there... and possibly in my family room too. The wheels are turning!!
Hugs,
Karen
Ladybug Creek

NanAZ said...

It's beautiful! I can't wait to see the evolution of the rest of the decorating.

Angie said...

It's beautiful Linda!
Can't wait to see it in person. : )