Saturday, September 01, 2007

dice


This morning I found this pink Bunco game at my little thrift store. Not because I want to gather a group of gals together and start playing Bunco every week. But because I love the pink and green and black dice that came with the game. I have a thing for dice and have picked up odd looking dice here and there over the years and thought these would really add to my collection. I suppose the way I feel about dice is the same as I feel about buttons and marbles. I just like holding them, spilling them through my fingers, scooping them up and the sound as I roll them around in the palm of my hand. I actually have vivid memories as a little girl, playing with my Mom's buttons, scooping up a handful of marbles, shaking several dice... oooh, I just thought of another... playing jacks! I loved playing jacks! I loved the sounds that went along with playing jacks. The shaking, throwing, bouncing, scooping... umm, where is that bag of jacks? As I recall, I was rather good...

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Randomly found your blog! Wow! You have some really inspirational crafts going on!

LBP said...

I love your pink dice! I like to roll dice too. Any board game that has dice, I like it!

I am really coveting your fabric with the antique sewing machines on it. It would make a great sewing machine cover!

Blessings

Linda

Jessica said...

My husband painted our halequin walls! We just built this house (not even closed on it yet) and I wanted a statement wall. If you go back and look at the July archive, you can see pictures of the whole house.

Jessica said...

Just saw your Ouray, Colorado sign! We took our motorcycle to Ouray, Silverton, and Durango last year. We loved Ouray! We did the Gold Mine tour in Silverton, and white water rafted in Durango! How neat! We love that part of the country!

NanAZ said...

Fun stuff!!! Did you know that my sister and sister-in-law have been playing Bunco once a month with a group of couples for over a decade. I filled in once as a substitute when someone couldn't make it. It's pure luck and pretty mindless, but a fun game for conversation before and after and between rounds.

We also used to play a fun dice game called Zilch with Greg & Toni Williams. Do you remember that one? It was fun to, but more of a risk-taking game.

Hey I was pretty good at jacks too. Maybe we should try it again sometime, although I think it would take a while to get the hang of it and we probably couldn't get up after we sat on the floor for a while.

Ahhh, childhood, no wonder it's for young people!

Gina said...

Oh how cute is that!

Lizzie said...

I don't think I have ever seen pink dice before. I agree that somethings just feel very good in your hands... I like the feeling of "junk" jewelry in my hands, and pearls- faux or real! Congrats on your fun find.

Unknown said...

Such cute dice! I love the colors. PS--I have that little pink Pyrex too. :)

oak wind farm said...

I love dice too, but never thought to collect them! Brings back memories of playing Yahtzee with my Mammow!

Lori said...

Oh how I remember playing dice and Bunko with Mom! At Polish bridal showers many years back everyone played Bunko! And since my Grandfather was a police officer and would break up gambling rooms he confiscated the dice and had this huge collection! Bet he couldn't do that now! This was in the 40's and 50's! Everyone borrowed my Grandmothers dice for parties! take care, Lori

Sandy said...

Hi Linda!
Can you believe I've never played BUNCO? Never! Sandy :)

Jolene George said...

I've never seen dice in those colors...so pretty. I haven't played bunco in years, but it's fun. I love dice games.